In a bid to raise as much money as possible for East Cheshire NHS Trust’s charity, ECHO, sisters Rebecca and Rachael Calthorpe are tackling extreme challenges in gratitude for the care and support they received as a family from Macclesfield District General Hospital.
On Sunday 16th April, fundraiser Rebecca Calthorpe completed the Manchester Marathon in a personal best of just over four hours to raise money for Macclesfield Hospital’s ICU where her mother Trish, spent six weeks after being diagnosed with limbic encephalitis, a rare condition which affects the brain.
Thanks to the care and support Trish received from hospital staff she is now back home and recovering so, alongside her sister Rachael, the determined duo are keen to express appreciation by taking on demanding challenges to raise funds for East Cheshire NHS Trust’s charity.
Reflecting on her astonishing achievement, Rebecca said, “It was unbelievably painful - physically, mentally, emotionally - everything! I'm so proud of myself though! Finishing a marathon really does make you feel like you can do anything …except walk for a few days!”.
Her sister Rachael, is next to take on a challenge, taking part in the Great North SwimRun on 10th June. Rachael told us “I wanted to take on a new challenge completely out of my comfort zone. As a complete novice to swimming and running, I thought this would be a good challenge to train for and push myself!”
So far, the sisters have raised over £2000 for East Cheshire NHS Trust’s ECHO charity. They said, “The medical team were so supportive during this very uncertain time, and we are forever grateful firstly for their care of our mum, but for how endlessly supportive they were to our family. I can’t thank all members of the ICU team enough for their expertise and dedication that saved our mum’s life.”
ECHO helps East Cheshire NHS Trust go the extra mile for its staff, patients and service users. They achieve this through research, training, enhanced facilities and cutting-edge medical equipment over and above what the NHS funds.
To donate, click here to go to Rebecca and Rachael’s JustGiving page.
Notes for editors
- For further information about East Cheshire NHS Trust, contact the trust press office on 01625 663935 between the hours of 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday.
- East Cheshire NHS Trust is the main provider of acute and community health services for the people of East Cheshire. The trust is based at Macclesfield District General Hospital.
- Follow East Cheshire NHS Trust on Twitter for all the latest news @EastCheshireNHS
- ECHO is East Cheshire NHS Trust Charitable Fund, the official charity of East Cheshire NHS Trust. ECHO raises money for Macclesfield District General Hospital, Knutsford Community Hospital, Congleton War Memorial Hospital and all our community services.
- ECHO helps East Cheshire NHS Trust go the extra mile for our staff, patients and service users. We aim to provide high quality care and be a brilliant place to work. We achieve this through research, training, enhanced facilities and cutting-edge medical equipment over and above what the NHS funds.
- You can make a donation to the charity on JustGiving here.
- To keep up to date with ECHO follow us on social media @ECHOnhscharity or visit the website https://charity.eastcheshire.nhs.uk/
Page last updated: April 2023
Found a problem? Report it and help us to improve our website