East Cheshire NHS Trust has been awarded almost £6m to refurbish its former Cancer Resource Centre* (services which are now provided in the new Christie facility on site) at Macclesfield District General Hospital, as part of its elective recovery programme.
Primarily, these plans include a new Elective Treatment Centre alongside a refurbishment and remodelling of the hospital’s existing Emergency Department (ED).
The trust is delighted to have received planning approval for these proposals, which will improve patient experience and care for the people of East Cheshire and beyond.
The project consists of:
New Elective Treatment Centre
An internal refurbishment to convert Macclesfield Hospital’s former Cancer Resource Centre into a new Elective Treatment Centre. This new centre will provide additional treatment facilities for day-case patients having gynaecology and urology procedures.
It will be located next door to the hospital’s Outpatients Department.
Emergency Department refurbishment
An extension to the existing Emergency Department, plus an internal reconfiguration to provide additional patient treatment rooms on the ground floor, and plant room.
This refurbishment will improve patient experience and flow and also includes a separate ED entrance for paediatric patients.
These plans will enable the trust to provide enhanced services for patients within an improved environment for staff. Work is set to start next year.
*The Christie at Macclesfield opened in December 2021 replacing the services previously provided within the Cancer Resource Centre at Macclesfield Hospital.
- An artist impression for the new waiting area of the new treatment centre (colour scheme yet to be agreed)
Notes for editors
- For further information about East Cheshire NHS Trust, contact the trust press office on 01625 663935.
- East Cheshire NHS Trust is the main provider of acute and community health services for the people of East Cheshire. The trust is based at Macclesfield District General Hospital.
- Follow East Cheshire NHS Trust on Twitter for all the latest news @EastCheshireNHS
- Donations to our charity enable East Cheshire NHS Trust to purchase lifesaving equipment and items not funded by the NHS. You can make a donation to our charity through their JustGiving page here.