Health and care services come under even greater pressure during the winter months. East Cheshire NHS Trust is committed to helping the people of East Cheshire and beyond to find the right NHS service for them.
Please play your part by ensuring you are vaccinated against COVID-19 and flu and access care using NHS 111 Online, your GP, or high street pharmacy. Find a pharmacy near you by following this link.
NHS Living Well advice about healthy living, including eating a balanced diet, healthy weight, exercise, quitting smoking and drinking less alcohol can be found by clicking here.
The public can also help us by ensuring they are seeking help from the most appropriate health services, using NHS 111 online for 24/7 advice about the most appropriate care for your needs and only attending A&E if seriously ill or injured to help us make sure those services are free for those that need them the most.
Around 80% of all care in the UK is self care.
The majority of people feel comfortable managing everyday minor ailments like coughs and colds themselves, particularly when they feel confident in recognising the symptoms and have successfully used over-the-counter medicine before.
More information about how to treat many common conditions at home can be found on the national NHS website: www.nhs.uk/conditions.
Flu vaccination is safe and effective. It's offered every year through the NHS to help protect children and people at risk of getting seriously ill from flu.
Flu vaccination is important because:
- while flu is unpleasant for most people, it can be dangerous and even life threatening for some people, particularly those with certain health conditions
- more people are likely to get flu this winter as fewer people will have built up natural immunity to it during the COVID-19 pandemic
- if you get flu and COVID-19 at the same time, research shows you're more likely to be seriously ill
Find out more about who can have a flu vaccination, where you can get one and how to book an appointment here.
If you do need to access a health service, where possible please try NHS 111, your GP or high street pharmacy first.
NHS 111 Online can tell you:
- where to get help for your symptoms, if you're not sure what do to
- how to find general health information and advice
- where to get an emergency supply of your prescribed medicine
- how to get a repeat prescription
If you're worried about your health, don't delay. We're here to help you stay well this winter.
Page last updated: November 2022
Found a problem? Report it and help us to improve our website