JOINING THE BANK
What is the staff bank?
The staff bank aims to supply appropriately skilled staff to cover temporary shortages within the organisation, usually due to staff absence or increased service demand. Our bank consists of a mixture of bank-only staff and existing 'substantive' staff who choose to pick up additional hours within the Trust. The bank service currently provides:
- Staff Nurses
- Healthcare Assistants
- Administrative and Clerical Staff
Why join the bank?
There are lots of reasons to join the bank. These include:
- Ability to choose your own working hours, flexibly across a choice of shift patterns
- Ability to choose your own working area from a range of available shifts (subject to the relevant skill set)
- Ability to be paid for shifts worked on a weekly basis
- Access to training and development opportunities and the chance to improve your skills
- Easy access to shifts via a 24 hour self-booking system (Employee Online App)
- Opportunity to gain experience across a wide variety of areas
- Paid accrued annual leave
- Access to NHS Pension
- Access to internal Trust vacancies
How do I join the bank?
An external applicant wishing to become a bank staff member will need to apply online via our vacancies page. Once you have completed the online application you may be asked to attend an interview. Should you be successful at interview, a series of NHS pre-employment checks will be completed and you will be given a start date. You will also be provided with mandatory training as part of your induction programme, which must be completed before picking up your first shift. You may also be offered two paid shadow shifts working alongside regular staff to support you in getting to know our processes.
Please visit Our Vacancies to view and apply for our current bank vacancies.
An internal applicant can pick up an internal application form from the bank office (located on the Treetops Restaurant corridor at Macclesfield Hospital. This will need completing by yourself and signing by your line manager. The completed form must then be returned to the bank office or can be scanned across (email address in the contact details below).
What shift patterns are available?
There are shifts available 24/7 Monday to Sunday (depending on the ward/unit) and the type of role you undertake.
- Doctors: Shift patterns vary depending on the specialty but are available 24/7. Medical Staffing can be contacted for further information.
- Staff Nurses and Healthcare Assistants: Shifts will be either early (7:00-15:00), late (13:00-20:00), long day (7:00-20:00) or night shifts (19:30-7:30).
- Admin and Clerical Staff: Shifts are likely to be Monday-Friday 09:00 - 17:00 although out of hours shifts (evenings, nights and weekends) are also available.
How do I pick up shifts?
We have a rostering system that will allow you to access available shifts from your smartphone and book yourself in to a shift. If you are unable to book this way please contact the bank office.
How much will I get paid for working bank shifts?
Staff on NHS pay bands are paid at their current salary or depending on previous NHS experience. For Medical and Dental staff, specific bank rates have been agreed.
Will I be provided with a uniform?
Staff who only work for the bank will be provided with a uniform for those roles which require one. Current staff will be able to use their existing uniform.